Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When Will I Receive Refund After I ID Verify: Letter 5071c and 4883

I hope you find this information helpful. 

The IRS selected me to verify my identify (IRS Form Letter 5071c). On February 22, 2017, I called (800) 830-5084 and answered a series of question to verify my identity. They told me it would take up to 9 weeks to receive a refund or a letter. On February 25, 2017 (3 days later), Where Is My Refund (WMR) gave me a direct deposit date for March 1, 2017. 

So for me, it took 3 days after I verified to find out my deposit date.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
CarolynB

Hi. This is an attempt by the IRS to protect you from potential identity theft and is a part of their ongoing efforts to prevent fraud. Unfortunately, the only way to have your refund released is to verify your identity via the 2 methods they provide. See IR-2015-54 for more info here: https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Taxpayers-Receiving-Identity-Verification-Letter-Should-Use-IDVerif....
Answered by TurboTaxHolly

I don't want to get your hopes up too much, but some taxpayers are reporting that they received their refund in 7 days after verifying their ID. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3086964.

However, the IRS states that it will take 6 weeks to process your return: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Employees/Understanding-Your-5071C-Letter

@val2834 how long did it take for the letter to get to you?

I verified my letter 2/28 but I defiled 2/06 still nothing

I applied online received date then I called 2wks after DDD I was told I needed to do an Address Verify.  I Verified everything online.  I called 3 days later to ensure that the online process had been processed, they had received verification and that it would take up to 9wks to receive my refund.  Well, 9wks was May 1, 2020, still nothing. Nothing has changed on "where's my refund" there are NO bars or anything. It just says that it's being processed. Now it's almost 5wks after anticipated May 1, 2020 deposit and still nothing. I've created an account on the irs.gov website, when I log on it reveals my awarded amount but not a Direct Deposit Date...who can I call? Or does anyone else not received their 2019 Tax Refund after ID Verification allotted wait time?

I filed and was accepted Jan 31st. ID verified March 16th. Nine weeks would of been on May 18th. That date has long since come and gone and I still have yet to receive my refund. I DID however receive my stimulus check. 🙄 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

@ iamagoodnurse

Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, the refund process is completely under the control of the IRS. The IRS says that most refunds would be issued within 21 days. But some returns need more processing and refunds will take longer, especially during these Covid-19 times when some IRS agents still work remotely.

Please read this IRS FAQ for more information.

This IRS document outlines IRS operations during Covid-19 times.

Please be patient, the situation will get better soon as some IRS agents are returning to their desks. You can check the status of your refund at this IRS web portal.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi

I saw you filled March and id verified may 18th... How long until u received ur stimulus check after verifying ur identity?  Did u verify in person or online?  If in person were u able to get ur transcript online? Did it shed any light?

Jen68

Didn't realize you asked this 2 yrs ago lol, but better late then never ...it was sent on the 19th recueved 26th...WASNT GOOD ENOUGH. still have to drive an hour to a nearby state tomorrow . Because if I waited to go nearby. It would have been on May 8th!!! Atleast its a tourist town..Myrtle Beach nc.  Maybe it won't be all about business. 

chbfwd

I believe that the manner that TurboTax transmitts their information to the IRS, triggers these verifications.  This is the 3rd year my return has been pulled.  

Would love for Turbotax to investigate.   I enter a PIN and still get pulled. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies