turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I missed a form while filing for this year , didn’t file form 1099c,recieved state refund already so I need to amend that with federal or just federal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Hi I missed a form while filing for this year , didn’t file form 1099c,recieved state refund already so I need to amend that with federal or just federal

In most situations, if you receive a Form 1099-C from a lender after negotiating a debt cancellation with them, you'll have to report the amount on that form to the Internal Revenue Service as taxable income.  However, there are a few exceptions:

• Debt discharged in a Title 11 bankruptcy (including chapters 7, 11, and 13).
  • Canceled debt on qualified farms and real business property.
  • Forgiven debt on a qualified principal residence if the forgiveness arrangement was entered into and in writing on or after January 1, 2007, and before January 1, 2021 (aka mortgage forgiveness debt relief).
  • Debt canceled due to insolvency.
    • To qualify, you must demonstrate that your total debt exceeded the fair market value of all of your assets immediately before the cancelation occurred.
    • Use the Insolvency Worksheet in IRS Publication 4681 to figure out if you were insolvent at the time of the debt cancelation. 

If taxable, you'll need to amend Federal and state. However, Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return won't be available before 02/14/2024. 

How do I enter a 1099-C?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies