Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kingsam-1

Hello. I was wondering if you might be able to tell me how much of my refund came from tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndreaG

Hello. I was wondering if you might be able to tell me how much of my refund came from tuition?

To determine what education benefits you received, 

• Click on "my account" tab at the very top of the screen
  • Click on "tools"
  • Click on "view tax summary"
  • Click on "preview my 1040". This is part of a narrow white bar at the very top of the screen
  • When your 1040 form appears, you will be able to scroll through and look at the individual line items. The specific line items that you need to view, depends on which 1040 form you filed.

There is one line item for the tuition and fees deduction, one line item for the education credits, and one line item for the American Opportunity credit. 

Keep in mind that the tuition and fees deduction reduces your taxable income. The education credits will reduce your tax liability. The American Opportunity credit is a partially refundable credit so this can have a bigger impact on your actual refund. 

• Click the "back" button when you want to return to your main Turbo Tax screen. The back button is part of a narrow white bar at the very top of the screen.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AndreaG

To determine what education benefits you received, 

• Click on "my account" tab at the very top of the screen
  • Click on "tools"
  • Click on "view tax summary"
  • Click on "preview my 1040". This is part of a narrow white bar at the very top of the screen
  • When your 1040 form appears, you will be able to scroll through and look at the individual line items. The specific line items that you need to view, depends on which 1040 form you filed.

There is one line item for the tuition and fees deduction, one line item for the education credits, and one line item for the American Opportunity credit. 

Keep in mind that the tuition and fees deduction reduces your taxable income. The education credits will reduce your tax liability. The American Opportunity credit is a partially refundable credit so this can have a bigger impact on your actual refund. 

• Click the "back" button when you want to return to your main Turbo Tax screen. The back button is part of a narrow white bar at the very top of the screen.
kingsam-1

AndreaG responded quickly and her response was exactly what I was looking for!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies