Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Generating a 1040X for 2018 with turbotax has most of the lines blank, why?

I am amending my return for 1040 due to a forgotten 1099-R for a non-deductible IRA contribution that was immediately converted into a Roth IRA. I know the dollar impact of the amendment is $0 so the original vs correct amount in the form 1040X should be all the same but I would expect there to be values in these cells. Why is turbotax just leaving them blank?  Looks like a bug!

What do I do short of hand-copying information from my 1040 to my 1040X, I've tried to do some of them but I don't know what lines map to the 1040.  Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The only time you will see changes in column B and column C of the 1040X if this changes your return in any way. Since you are reporting a 1099R that has no impact on your return, there will be no values in Column B and Column C. This is because there is not balance due or refund with t his 10410X. What matters is that you are reporting your return with a 1099R and now IRS has a record of that 1099R, that is part of your 2019 return. This is the most important thing about the amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The only time you will see changes in column B and column C of the 1040X if this changes your return in any way. Since you are reporting a 1099R that has no impact on your return, there will be no values in Column B and Column C. This is because there is not balance due or refund with t his 10410X. What matters is that you are reporting your return with a 1099R and now IRS has a record of that 1099R, that is part of your 2019 return. This is the most important thing about the amendment.

Are you saying that the IRS is going to be ok with the 'correct amount' column completely blank? That seems counter intuitive

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

That's correct.  As DaveF1006 suggests above, what matters is that you're reporting the 1099-R, as the IRS requires.

Since this reporting makes no change in the actual amount you owe or are owed, the "correct amount" column will, of necessity, be blank, but you'll have fulfilled your reporting requirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies