Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8962 and form 1095-A shared

My daughter is filing as an independent and we share the 1095A form.  I allocated 20 percent of the 1095-A for her taxes because she is required to file form 8962. I am not claiming her on my taxes as a dependent.   Now, here is the problem.  On her taxes, when turbo tax asks if she can be claimed as a dependent on someone elses taxes she is required to say yes, then she says no that nobody else will claim her.  We then enter the 1095 A information and Then Turbo tax gives her an error message saying to delete the  1095A form and have the other tax paper report it. Since turbo tax is rejecting the 1095 A, after everything was entered correctly, turbo tax won't generate the 8962 form.  Turbo tax will only generate the 8962 form, if she answers no to the question "can someone else claim you as a dependent."  What is the problem?? Why can't turbo tax generate the 8962 form if she answers yes to the question  "can someone else claim you as a dependent.   Please help.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If she meets the requirements to be claimed as a dependent, she can still file independently, but she can't take advantge of any tax breaks as an independent. For IRS purposes, you can't be forced to claim her, but at the same time, she is technically a dependent regarding her own return and receiving  special treatment afforded to someone who does not meet the requirements to be claimed.

the problem is if she can be claimed as a dependent even though you don't claim her as a dependent on your 1040  she is includable in your tax family for the PTC purposes. therefore,  your family size (line 1 of 8962 is 3) and you have to include her adjusted gross income on line 2b. she reports nothing.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are not claiming her as your Dependent on your return, does she qualify to file as independent?  Did she provide over 50% of her own support?  If not, then yes, you would report the 1095-A on your return and she reports nothing about Health Insurance on her return. 

If she qualifies as independent, she will be able to allocate 1095-A on her return. 

Here's more info on Allocating 1095-A.

@lisaannln56 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies