Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8009-A explain your entry online 14 of your Amended return and send supporting forms or schedules

Line 14 is my earned income credit it is automatically calculated by the numbers that I put in so I don't know if I made an error

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Form 8009-A explain your entry online 14 of your Amended return and send supporting forms or schedules

When filing a Form 1040-X, you need to explain any changes you have made in Part III of the return.  In this case, it looks like you added a Child as a Dependent and the Child was also used as a Qualifying Child for EIC purposes, so you should have an explanation of this in Part III.

In addition, you need to attach Schedule EIC to your Form 1040-X.  I think this is the main thing they are looking for in your case.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

When filing a Form 1040-X, you need to explain any changes you have made in Part III of the return.  In this case, it looks like you added a Child as a Dependent and the Child was also used as a Qualifying Child for EIC purposes, so you should have an explanation of this in Part III.

In addition, you need to attach Schedule EIC to your Form 1040-X.  I think this is the main thing they are looking for in your case.

You are a gem and if you possibly could assist me in how to obtain the forms I would be very grateful for your help . Should I send in a copy of my original return with only one dependent . Which has a copy of E.I.C. form.  When sending in the amended return should it of printed me the E.I.C. form ?

I did fill out Part Ill  section asking for explanation for my changes I answered it as when I was filing my taxes this year on first attempt they got rejected saying that one of my dependents was being claimed I simply believe this is an error of some numbers of somebody else entering incorrectly because there is no possible way anyone else would claim my daughter so for the reasoning of amending is because I wasn't able to put her on the original and e-file. But I do believe you are correct they are looking for my EIC form so would I get that form from my original one i e filed or from the amended return that I sent in
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

No, do not send in a copy of your original return.  You need to attach the *new* Schedule EIC showing all of your qualifying children, including the one you are Amending your return to add.  Attach it to your Form 1040-X and mail back in.
Lisaragin

Can you send me a copy of the 8009-A and a EIC form for 2020?

1040-X instructions say:

if you do not include forms or schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment, IRS will send 1040-X back to you.

You have to review your revised tax return carefully yourself to identify the relevant  forms and schedules.

TurboTax won't do this for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies