Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4952 line 1 and line 5 and line 8

I received K1 form, the number in box 13H is $2127, and in box 20B is $20812. I entered 2127 in TT in "Investment Interest Expense" and 20812 in "Investment Expense". Now, my form 4952 is showing:

Line 1: 3742

Line 3: 3742

Line 5: 20812

Line 8: 3742

My first question is why line 1 is showing 3742? Where does the number 3742 come from? The second question is why line 8 does not allow me to deduct the total expense 22939 (2127+20812)?

Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The amount on Form 4952 Line 1 comes from:

1. Schedule K-1 Partnerships Worksheet Line 13 Code H and/or 
  2. Schedule K-1 S Corporations Worksheet Line 12 Code H and/or
  3. Schedule K-1 Partnerships Worksheet Line 13 Code ZZ where the Additional Information Worksheet Line 13 reports the amount on Line 7 as investment interest expense to be reported on Schedule E, page 2.

Line 5 is the total of investment expenses other than interest. These expenses reduce the investment income available for the investment interest deduction.

Your total deduction on Line 8 is limited to the smaller of Line 3 (investment interest expense) or Line 6 (net investment income). In other words, if you have more income than expense, you may deduct your total expense.

You can see the underlying calculations on the Form 4952 Worksheet (Wks) using Forms Mode (F6 or Forms>>>Open Form...).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The amount on Form 4952 Line 1 comes from:

1. Schedule K-1 Partnerships Worksheet Line 13 Code H and/or 
  2. Schedule K-1 S Corporations Worksheet Line 12 Code H and/or
  3. Schedule K-1 Partnerships Worksheet Line 13 Code ZZ where the Additional Information Worksheet Line 13 reports the amount on Line 7 as investment interest expense to be reported on Schedule E, page 2.

Line 5 is the total of investment expenses other than interest. These expenses reduce the investment income available for the investment interest deduction.

Your total deduction on Line 8 is limited to the smaller of Line 3 (investment interest expense) or Line 6 (net investment income). In other words, if you have more income than expense, you may deduct your total expense.

You can see the underlying calculations on the Form 4952 Worksheet (Wks) using Forms Mode (F6 or Forms>>>Open Form...).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies