turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Foreign account information was entered wrong

I submitted my federal tax and it was already accepted but when I downloaded the form and reviewed it, it looks like my foreign account information was incorrect on form 8938.

I have 4 foreign bank accounts in total, all of them deposit accounts.

For some reason, one of my foreign bank accounts was entered twice (both in Part 1 and Part 2 ) and the maximum value became more than what it should be. It calculated the amount twice for one of the accounts and the number of total accounts became 5 instead of 4.

FBAR was submitted correctly.

Do I need to submit 1080-X to amend this?

Connect with an expert
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Foreign account information was entered wrong

Yes, you should amend your tax return and correct your Form 8938. You won't be able to e-file the correction because it won't change you refund or tax due. 


Here's how to do your amended return:



  1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select the year you want to amend.
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the directions to start your amendment.
  5. Your refund will go to zero, don't worry, that's normal.
  6. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue.
  7. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select Start next to the info you need to change.
  8. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return.

When you enter the explanation statement, say that nothing is changed on Form 1040, you are only amending your return to correct Form 8938.


Print and mail in Form 1040X and Form 8938 only. Be sure to sign Form 1040X on the secind page. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies