Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For 2017 filed single no personal exemption taken since I was a dependent on mothers tax return. I got a letter and was told by IRS I need to file 1040x as dependent??

Do I need to file 1040x if I did not take my personal exemption? It will not change the previous 1040 filed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For 2017 filed single no personal exemption taken since I was a dependent on mothers tax return. I got a letter and was told by IRS I need to file 1040x as dependent??

You would file a 1040X and in the Personal Information section you would EDIT yourself and answer that someone can claim you.

Otherwise if you do not Amend the return, your mother's return will not be able to claim you as a dependent on it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

But in 1040 nor 1040x there is no dependent filing status only single so is confusing. When I file my 2017 taxes i did not take my personal exemption since I was claimed as a dependent but filing status is single. Not sure why IRS wants me to do an ammendment since no personal exemption was taken by me.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies