Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vjostes

For 2016, my portion of medical claims totaled $3,500+. With an AGI of $21,000+ @ 75 yrs old, can I file an amended return, claiming that $3,500 as a deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For 2016, my portion of medical claims totaled $3,500+. With an AGI of $21,000+ @ 75 yrs old, can I file an amended return, claiming that $3,500 as a deduction?

Medical expenses are includable in your itemized deductions.  If you used the standard deduction, you cannot take a medical expense deduction.

For persons 65 or older, medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI were includable in your itemized deductions for 2016.  With an AGI of $21,000, you must reduce your medical expenses by 7.5% of $21,000, or $1,575 to arrive at your includable medical expenses deduction of $1,925.  If using this amount when added to your other itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction or what you claimed in itemized deductions on your return as filed, then filing an amended return may be a good idea.

But if your tax liability was already zero, there would be no benefit to claiming this additional deduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Does that include your medical insurance premiums?

Medical expenses are includable in your itemized deductions.  If you used the standard deduction, you cannot take a medical expense deduction.

For persons 65 or older, medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI were includable in your itemized deductions for 2016.  With an AGI of $21,000, you must reduce your medical expenses by 7.5% of $21,000, or $1,575 to arrive at your includable medical expenses deduction of $1,925.  If using this amount when added to your other itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction or what you claimed in itemized deductions on your return as filed, then filing an amended return may be a good idea.

But if your tax liability was already zero, there would be no benefit to claiming this additional deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies