UpACreek

Filing final form 1065 for a short year

My business closed 5/31/20, so the filing deadline for the final return will likely be before 2020 forms are available from the IRS.  I will therefore use 2019 forms.  Can I prepare this using Turbotax?  Can I file using Turbotax?  How do I avoid overwriting the already filed return for calendar year 2019?

tagteam

Filing final form 1065 for a short year

You can prepare the return using the 2019 version of TurboTax Business, but you will not be able to e-file. Rather, you will need to make some manual entries in Forms Mode, print out the return, manually correct the dates on your 1065 and K-1s (at least), and then mail the return.

To avoid overwriting your previously filed return for 2019, ensure that you save that file under a unique file name and copy the file to at least two different media (e.g., an external hard drive or SSD and a USB flash drive).

tagteam

Filing final form 1065 for a short year

UpACreek

Filing final form 1065 for a short year

Thank you!