Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filing an amended tax return

dear community,

i already filed my 2023 taxes a few weeks ago, but just realized that i could also deduct my hsa contributions, which i did not include in the original return.  the amount that i originally had to pay on my federal return got cut in half after i calculated in my hsa contributions.  i already had the original amount which i owed on my federal return withdrawn from bank account by the irs. if i am able to file an amended tax return for 2023 to correct the hsa omission from the original return, will the irs refund me the difference, since with the amended tax return for the federal tax will be half of what i ended up paying. thank you so kindly for your help and advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would be the way the over-payment would be handled, it would be refunded.

Was the HSA contribution listed on your W-2 Box 12 Code W? If yes, the program would have picked that up. 

If you made contributions a different way, you would need to enter that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you so much. i actually only set up the hsa today and did not have any contributions to it from my employer in 2023, i will however from this point on start to have my employer contribute to my new hsa from my payroll.  for the 2023 tax year hsa contribution, can i still ask my employer to contribute the full 8750.00 before the april 15th deadline into my hsa account as a lump sum? will that still count? thank you again.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Don't bother your employer. They probably won't get to it in time.

If you were under HDHP coverage on December 1, 2023, then you can make the maximum HSA contribution for 2023 ($3,850 for self-only coverage and $7,750 for family coverage, plus $1,000 if you are 55+).

NOTE: this requires you to stay under HDHP coverage for all of 2024.

Yes, you can do this if you send the contribution directly to the HSA custodian by Monday, April 15th. Call them to make sure this happens. 

***NOTE*** You MUST tell the HSA custodian that the contribution is for 2023!

You will enter this in the HSA interview (Deductions & Credits->Medical->1099-SA,HSA,MSA) on the screen "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions". Enter it on the second line as a "personal" contribution.

It will appear as a deduction on line 13 on Schedule 1 (1040).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you a million!!!! really appreciate your intel and advice!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies