Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed taxes and am getting a refund but received a 1095A. I amended my tax return and owe an amount to cover the healthcare overpayment. Why can't they deduct the amount I owe from my refund? It says I need to mail in a check.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

Filed taxes and am getting a refund but received a 1095A. I amended my tax return and owe an amount to cover the healthcare overpayment. Why can't they deduct the amount I owe from my refund? It says I need to mail in a check.

They will.  If you do not send in a payment with the return and they still have your return, they will use your refund to pay the bill.  However, if they process your return before they receive the amended form, they may send the refund to you.  If they do send you the refund, you can use that to pay the amount owed.  You do not have to do anything, unless your refund will be less than the amount owed, then you will have to pay the difference.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Melaine

They will.  If you do not send in a payment with the return and they still have your return, they will use your refund to pay the bill.  However, if they process your return before they receive the amended form, they may send the refund to you.  If they do send you the refund, you can use that to pay the amount owed.  You do not have to do anything, unless your refund will be less than the amount owed, then you will have to pay the difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies