Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

rpmm
Returning Member

Federal and California taxes incorrectly calculated by TurboTax (desktop) - should TurboTax be responsible for the errors?

Thanks. It's good to know I am not the only one and it is sad to see that TurboTax stopped supporting multiple paying agents with same EIN 2 years ago. 

I have filed form 843 but there is no way to check status or even find a contact number/email/office to check what is the status of that filing. 

rpmm
Returning Member

Federal and California taxes incorrectly calculated by TurboTax (desktop) - should TurboTax be responsible for the errors?

Yea, the excess CASDI is also coming up because of two paying agents/two W-2's from two employers. 

I hope there is someone here who has done the claim successfully and can respond to how to get it done. 

Meanwhile, my accuracy guarantee claim was rejected by TurboTax :(

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Per the FAQ for 2023 situations not covered, TurboTax specifically addresses this and states a W-2 with agent reporting that contains the words 'Agent For' in Box C and the agency is: Acting as an agent for two or more employers or is an employer and is acting as an agent for another employer is not a situation covered by TurboTax. 

Form 843 is a federal form and will not get you a refund of California SDI. There is a California form for this, which is the Claim for Refund of Excess California State Disability Insurance Deductions. However, this is only for taxpayers who do not have to file a California state return. The instructions state that if you are required to file a return, then claim the excess on your return. 

Since California rejected that claim for you on your return, it is suggested you call the EDD’s Excess State Disability Insurance Unit at 1-916-654-8333 for more information on your particular situation.  

@rpmm 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rpmm
Returning Member

Thanks for the link to the FAQ. As you can imagine, normal customers don't read all the FAQ's before purchasing TurboTax. And TurboTax has an extensive question/answer format to help customers file their taxes, and it can detect a common paying agent, multiple W2's and excess social security taxes paid. So why not alert the customer to options (like form 843)? 

As for the CA SDI, the EDD site says it is for those who don't file CA state taxes so I am afraid it will be of no use going down that path. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies