Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

F-1 Student Filed the Wrong Tax Form on Turbo Tax

Hey there!

I am an international student on F-1 visa and I think I made a mistake by using Turbo Tax to file my taxes. I ended up filing form 1040 instead of filing form 1040NR. I am aware that I will need to file a 1040X to amend it.

I had 2 questions in the meantime that I'd appreciate help with!

- Do you know if there is a way I can ask TurboTax for a refund (I was charged for the service in addition to being charged $50 for each of 3 states I filed in)?

- Should I check with the individual states I filed with to amend these filings or is there another way of doing it? (my federal tax return should probably be lower but my state tax returns should be higher)

Thanks a million!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

F-1 Student Filed the Wrong Tax Form on Turbo Tax

1.  You will not be able to receive a refund, unfortunately.  You have already used the program to file. As TurboTax is designed for US citizens and residents to use to file their taxes, it is not our responsibility for verifying your residency status.  

2.  You might not need to amend your state return.  Many states do not honor the residency rules under the IRS.  However, you should check with your state to verify.  Click here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

To amend, you would need to submit both the Form 1040-X and form 1040NR together:

1. Download Form 1040-X from the IRS website (see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
  2. Do not enter any other information on page 1.  
  3. Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  4. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.
  5. Complete a new or corrected form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support nonresident forms, click here Sprintax.
  6. Across the top of the 1040-NR, write “Amended”
  7. Attach the new or corrected return (Form 1040NR) to the back of Form 1040-X.

Form 1040X instructions -See page 6 under Residents and Nonresidents

@Chris1994

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies