Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file rejected Code AL40-050

Hello, earlier today I E-filed my Federal and State of AL tax returns. The Federal was accepted but the State of Alabama was rejected with Code AL40-050. From reading similar correspondence from others with the same code, I wanted to get specific instructions on how to correct my returns for my specific situation.  I filed "Married filing jointly" with residency status in "Alabama".

My wife is an RN and for the first half of 2021 she worked out of the state of Alabama on two occasions. She worked in the state of Maine and the company she worked for withheld state of Alabama income taxes. I downloaded the state of Maine income tax from Turbotax but chose not to e-file the Maine return since we owe a small amount to the State of Maine and will file by mail.

She also worked in the state of Washington and the company she worked for DID NOT withhold Alabama income taxes (or any state taxes). Since Washington state does not have a required state income tax, there was no filing required for the state of Washington. The W2 from that company does not have any information listed on their W-2 for Box 15, Box 16 and Box 17.

I have verified that the information from all the W-2's match what I entered into TurboTax. I feel like the error has to do with this W-2 for work while she was in the state of Washington but I first wanted confirmation that this is in fact the source of the error and secondly, a step by step instruction on how to properly correct the error to satisfy my tax filing obligations.

Please help. Thank you.

Chuck T

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies