Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Chester44

e-file 1040X

I e-filed my 2023 Form 1040 in May 2024.  I am now amending that return.  However, when I get to the end of the process, it tells me I did not e-file my original return thru TurboTax and therefore can not e-file the 1040X.  However, when I look at e-file status TurboTax indicates that the return was successfully e-filed.  I do not wish to file paper amendment due to the time it takes for IRS processing and potential of loss of the amended return by the IRS.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

e-file 1040X

I don't know why TurboTax is not letting you e-file, but filing an amended return by mail does not make a significant difference in the IRS processing time. All amended returns take 20 weeks or more to be processed, no matter how they are filed. The minor advantages of e-filing an amended return might not be worth the time and effort it would take to resolve the problem. Mail the return by certified mail with a return receipt so you at least have proof of delivery. It's rare for the IRS to actually lose a return.

You can check the status of your amended return using Where’s My Amended Return? on the IRS web site. You can check the status about 3 weeks after you file it, either e-filed or by mail.

e-file 1040X

@Chester44 the IRS has invested significant technology over the past 2 years on better scanning equipment, etc. so paper submissions are turned into electronic documents (so they don't get lost) very, very quickly.  This is a result of that $80B Congress authorized under the Inflation Reduction  Act two years ago. 

As noted, send the paper amendment via a traceable method at the post office.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies