Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax assume that I sent in my state tax via mail prior to when I made an amendment?

I had to make an amendment to my taxes and the Federal one went fine but for Illinois it initially said I had a refund of 207 dollars but after the amendment it is saying I owe 136. I am unsure if it is assuming I got the 207 refund or not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Does TurboTax assume that I sent in my state tax via mail prior to when I made an amendment?

I think you mean when you finished your state tax return amendment it showed you owed $136. If so, that is assuming you received your refund. Normally what happens is your original return is processed and if you have a refund it will be processed before your amended return is processed. So, when you prepare your amended return it is assumed that you received your refund, so you will have a tax due or refund that factors in the refund or payment you already made or received. I this case it appears you had a refund of $207 but after you did the amendment you owe $136. So, you should have or will receive a refund of $207 and need to send back $137. It is always best to wait until you receive your refund before you file the amended return, as there is always a chance your original return will be changed after you filed it and you may need to incorporate those changes into your amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies