turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xinbei123

I received a letter from IRS saying I own $517 for estimated tax payments, but it was not shown in my tax return file which from turbo tax. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PeterM

I received a letter from IRS saying I own $517 for estimated tax payments, but it was not shown in my tax return file which from turbo tax. What should I do?

Do not just send them a payment. Contact the IRS first, and you may want to elicit the help of a local CPA.

The notice you received should have the exact  reason why it was sent to you. I mean, the IRS is usually very clear as to why they think that you owe them money. In this case, ask them what in particular about estimated tax payments are they inquiring about. Are they saying that you should have paid more? Clearly the answer here is that they think you do, but what I'm saying is talk to them and find out why.

Now, there is an IRS website that explains why you got the exact notice that you received. It is helpful to review this website to find out how to respond to the notice they sent (but I still believe its a good idea to contact a live agent). The website to review is:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-irs-notice-or-letter

Once you know exactly why the IRS is saying that you owe them more money, go back to the tax return in question and determine if your original tax return is correct or incorrect...not according to the notice, but rather correct or incorrect as to common interpretation of tax laws/guidelines. If you disagree with the IRS's decision, you must communicate that to them. Be prepared to defend your position with documents and consistent, sound reasoning. You are not obligated to acquiesce to their decision. This is why I suggest a local CPA.

However, if you did inadvertently forget to include any income, there may be little you can do except pay the tax that would have been due with the original return to begin with. In this case, if you can show that you did not leave the income off in an attempt to skirt your responsibilities, then you should be able to get the IRS to abate any penalties. However, they will not forgive any interest due in a situation where you did not include all your income. Again, this is why I suggest a local CPA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies