turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tbc777

Do I open the 2017 Turbo Tax software to file an amended return for 2015 because once I file it, it will change my Carryover of Unallowed Expenses for 2016 and 2017?

"I filed my 2017 taxes this week, so I have not received my refund yet. I have used TurboTax for the past 18 years and file electronically. I need to file an amended return for tax year 2015. Do I open the 2017 TurboTax software and use the 1040X from that software, or do I open the 2015 TurboTax software and use the 1040X from that software? The reason I ask is because once I file the amended return for 2015, it will change my CARRYOVER OF UNALLOWED EXPENSES for 2016 and 2017. Will I also need to file amended returns for tax years 2016 and 2017, or will the 2017 TurboTax software make the adjustments automatically?"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I open the 2017 Turbo Tax software to file an amended return for 2015 because once I file it, it will change my Carryover of Unallowed Expenses for 2016 and 2017?

Carryovers can only be imported when you start the 2017 tax return. after that, any changes, you would have to enter manually.
Always make a paper copy of your originally filed return(s) before starting anything having to do with amendments.
ee-ea
Level 15

Use 2015 software to amend a 2015 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies