Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bluebird
Returning Member

do I need to send 1099 form if my rental management company reported as s-corporation on w-9?

Hi, 

I am wondering if I need to send 1099 form to the company who is managing my multiple rental units. They indicated on the w-9 that they are S-corporation and told me that 1099 is not needed in this case. Can someone confirm this is correct?

Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

do I need to send 1099 form if my rental management company reported as s-corporation on w-9?

@bluebird wrote:

They indicated on the w-9 that they are S-corporation and told me that 1099 is not needed in this case. Can someone confirm this is correct?

That is correct. 

Exceptions.

Some payments do not have to be reported on Form 1099-MISC, although they may be taxable to the recipient. Payments for which a Form 1099-MISC is not required include all of the following.

• Generally, payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S corporation).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc#idm140364727514192

bluebird
Returning Member

what about single member LLC? Is 1099 required in this case?

@bluebird wrote:

what about single member LLC? Is 1099 required in this case?

Yes, it would be required but not if the LLC has made an election to be treated as an S corporation (as per the reference in your original question).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies