Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FXG
Level 1

Do I need to prepay estimated taxes due to recent Capital Gains from sale of stock?

Question for filing taxes for 2020.

I recently sold stock in March 2020.  Total sale = $120k.  Total Capital gains = $68k.  In 2019 taxes, my gross income was ~$190k, adjusted gross income = ~$165k.  I owed $694.

Since I will need to pay taxes on the $68k of additional income, and nothing was withheld for taxes, do I need to prepay my taxes to avoid penalty?  Also, how would my situation be different if I purchased Turbo Tax Premier for next year's taxes (instead of Deluxe)?

Thanks,

FXG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Do I need to prepay estimated taxes due to recent Capital Gains from sale of stock?

You will have to use Premier next year in order to report your stock sale.

If you don't want to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax, you can make estimated payments, increase your payroll withholding by completing a new Form w-4 and submitting it to your employer.  Also, in order to avoid a penalty, you only need meet the parameters of the safe harbor rule. The estimated safe harbor rule has three parts:

• If you expect to owe less than $1,000 after subtracting your withholding, you won't owe a penalty.
  • If you pay 100% of your tax liability for the previous year via estimated quarterly tax payments or payroll withholding, you won't owe a penalty.  If your adjusted gross income for the year is over $150,000 then it's 110%.
  • If you pay at least 90% of your actual liability for the current year, you won't owe a penalty.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies