Solved: Do i need to file an amended federal and state return? I forgot to report an early retirement distribution in 2015 and the IRS sent me a bill for taxes due which I paid.

Do i need to file an amended federal and state return? I forgot to report an early retirement distribution in 2015 and the IRS sent me a bill for taxes due which I paid.

If the IRS has sent you a letter and bill for taxes due on the distribution in 2015 and you have paid the back tax, you do not need to file an amended federal tax return. The omission has been solved by your tax payment.

If you have not heard from your state revenue, you may wish to file an amended state return and pay the state tax due.