Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

achilo123
Returning Member

Do I need to amend my previous years K1 form when I was non-resident alien. thanks.

My situation is I started to receive K1 for tax year 2017, when I was in foreign country. I came to US in 2018, in which year I was not a tax resident, and I did not report my K1. For 2019, I became tax resident alien, ( because I have been in US from 2008-2012). I will report K1 for 2019 as tax resident. But my question is how do I report my K1 for 2017 (I was in foreign country), and 2018 (I came to US with F visa, but I was a tax non-resident alien)? Do I need to amend my tax returns in those years? Thank you very much.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Do I need to amend my previous years K1 form when I was non-resident alien. thanks.

Nonresident aliens must file Form 1040NR if they are engaged in a trade or business in the U.S.  The K-1 forms you received in 2017 and 2018 mean you were engaged in a trade or business in the U.S., so you should file Form 1040NR for those tax years.

TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR (nonresidents) only Form 1040 for U.S. citizens and resident aliens.  SprintTax is a software that can file a Form 1040-NR.

See this IRS link for the Form 1040-NR and Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies