Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tctangeman
Returning Member

Direct Deposit if I left last number off my account number!?

I filed my taxes mid February (by mail and I live in the UK)  and wondered what was taking so long to get my return? I've had 2 kids during the covid pandemic so expected to be back dated on previous stimulus checks. I've just checked and notice I omitted the last digit on for the account number for the direct deposit. Annoying but suppose they will just resend me a cheque? 

I received both stimulus checks via direct deposit so my question is if the IRS has my direct deposit information already will the next stimulus package go in? Or will my new (incorrect) tax return info be submitted? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Paper returns take a minimum of 4-6 weeks to process once the IRS receives them, but news reports say it is taking longer.  The IRS does not deposit into a foreign account. If it's a US one and the number is wrong, they will mail you a check.

tctangeman
Returning Member

Thanks yea - it's a US account. Is it worth sending in a new form with the correct information? I don't know when we'll actually get back to the US to cash a check.. I'd like if the direct deposit worked?? As I said would someone catch the mistake as I've had other direct deposits work?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you have already filed your return and it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to your return as it has already been transmitted to the IRS.  The information on your tax return would be used to process your refund as it is assumed to be the most current information.

Preparing an amended return to update your direct deposit also would not help as the IRS is also facing a huge backlog on paper filed returns due to the pandemic.  

Please see the link below for other ways to track your refund and ways to contact the IRS.  As mentioned by SweetieJean above, the IRS will mail you a check if the banking information on your tax return is incorrect.

Federal refund questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies