Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deadline for filing 1040X amended return for 2020 tax year?

I need to file amended tax return (1040X) for tax year 2020.  Am I still in the three-year time limit to do so?  

The IRS extended the natural (4/15) due date to 5/17/2021 due to COVID.  I filed for automatic extension and submitted my 1040 on 10/13/2021.  I filed an amended return on 7/10/2023 with a mix of increases and decreases in taxes due, netting to an additional refund check from the IRS.  Is the three-year time limit for amended returns from the 5/17/2021 date or the 10/13/2021 since that is when I actually filed my return?

I need to file another amended return for two reasons: (1) reduce dividend income due to updated 1099-DIV from broker not seen until now; and (2) additional business bad debt expense on Schedule C for business loan made to client in 2016 that was never repaid.  I would like to amend 2020 as the year with collection efforts and the year when other related bad debt was written off.  However, if the IRS rejects my additional 2020 1040X, I don't want to forego the ability to claim this bad debt expense in a subsequent year.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If  you requested an extension of time to file ( Form 4868 ) then you are still able to amend.

@R Taylor 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The statute of limitations for claiming a business bad debt is 7 years [IRC Section 6511(d)(1)].

@R Taylor however, your deadline is next month!

@fanfare, I filed Form 4868 by hard-copy / mail and can only hope the IRS accurately processed it on my account given the mess they were in during the COVID-era backlog of paper filings.  I started e-filing in 2022!

@rjs, thanks for the info and reference to the IRC!  Much appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies