Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Max65

Correcting TT State filing regarding removed excess Roth IRA contributions

In 2022 we contributed to our two Roth IRA's with Vanguard, were notified and removed the excess prior to 2022 tax filing.  The amounts returned were less than amount invested due to loss.  We did not receive a 1099R until this year 2023, reading codes P,J.  So we invested xx and received Dividends of YY which are tagged NONtaxable.  All good for federal filing, Turbotax accepted and filed it.

On the MA state filing, I could find no good way to indicate the 2023 Dividends were refund of already taxed monies and NONtaxable.  We fudged it.  Turbotax accepted and filed our MA State filing... which got rejected.  WHY?

We received error messages regarding an irrelevant issue with Rental Income... we have no rentals or rental income, nor could I find any TT form with data indicating such.  TT said to wait for software updates.... twice... for a month now. 

I went ahead and refiled State and it was again promptly rejected... with NO EXPLANATION from TT.

Form 1, Statement EXCL line 4 shows our refunded excess contributions.  This flows to Schedule B, line 6a which reads see this Form 1 for explanation.  

Does this sound correct?  How do I find out WHY the state filing is being rejected?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

"Dividends of YY which are tagged NONtaxable."

Dividends are reported on 1099-DIV.

Dividends cannot be treated as refund of already taxed money

what exactly is the tag you have that you say implies non-taxable.?

@Max65 

Max65

My mistake, we ar working with 2023 Form 1099-R.

Line 1 Gross distribution xxx is monies quickly withdrawn in 2022 when we learned we could not contribute.

Line 2a taxable Amount is zero.

Line 7 distribution codes J,P

Line 16 State distribution is xxx unfortunately... does not indicate nontaxable.

So how do we do our state filing to show this was not taxable?+

Turbotax State filing, Int/Div Excl is on form 1, 1-NR/PY Schedule B Line 6:

Line 4 of this form shows Exempt [portion of interest or dividens from a mutual fund which is xxx.

Is this sufficient for filing?  Cannot understand why our state filing portion was "rejected" according to Tiurbotax and there is no explanation or software fix shown.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies