Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rreiss123

Corrected W-2: How to enter information?

I received a corrected W-2 (I am a consultant and earned income in a state outside of my home state - the W-2C reflects this new state income). However, the copy I have does not include all of the information from the original W-2, only an amended Boxes 15, 16, and 17. Can I just add these changes from the additional state in my info, without actually uploading the new W-2?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If one of your W-2s is mostly blank, just enter the other W-2 and make sure you include the info from the mostly-blank W-2. Usually, "blank" W-2s have additional Box 12 line items or entries for a second state in Boxes 15-20. Don't enter a separate W-2 if Box 1 is empty, as you won't be able to e-file.

Don't forget to check the Corrected W-2 box when you get to the Do any of these uncommon situations apply? screen.
rreiss123

I did, but it does not generate anything else. As of now, I just added another "state" for boxes 15-17 with that income. So now I have Virginia and New Jersey. However, the total income was originally just reported as Virginia income.  In reality, this total income is comprised of Virginia + New Jersey...so how do I edit my Virginia income to be the total - Ohio? Do I just subtract the Ohio income and manually enter it?
rreiss123

In Sum, box 16 was never amended on my original w2 to show what I ACTUALLY earned in Virginia after ohio income was deducted.

If the W-2C still does not reflect the actual income or tax amount, you will need to contact your employer to issue another W2-C form so they can submit the corrected information to the IRS.
rreiss123

The W2-C just says to refer to the first W2 for income, however, that income is my total income, which just shows as VA income.
rreiss123

I need the version that has my Ohio income subtracted from that
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies