Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

corona virus stimulus payment direct deposit problem

why did IRS not have my bank direct deposit info for my corona stimulus even though i filed in both 2018 and 2019? i did not get direct deposit for 2019 because i owed $31, no refund, but i got a direct deposit refund in 2018.   When the deposit didn't come, i went to IRS site and it said they didn't have my banking information. Now i have to wait who knows how long. i need it bad. i use the same checking account every year if i get a refund.  Did i misunderstand the instructions?  do you have to file in the current year for deposit and it won't work if you don't get a deposit?  even if you got a deposit the previous year? i  thought the instructions said no further action was needed if they had your bank information from 2018.

i just checked my statements. My 2019 statement has X's typed into the boxes where routing number and account number go, since there is to be no refund for 2019. My 2018 statement has my routing and account number on the front page of the 1040, easy to see, no searching and page turning . Why didn't they have my account information?  

i'm afraid my payment is going down a black hole now. i don't know exactly which day i updated the information on Get My Payment, apparently their website doesn't keep a record of dates of actions. I just know it didn't come Monday or Tuesday last week.  i checked on Wednesday, called my bank to see if it was 'in process,' no it wasn't but don't worry, they are coming out in waves. '  i don't remember if i waited until the next day Thursday or updated it on IRS on Wednesday.  Did i wait til Friday?  i have no way of knowing for sure, though Wednesday or Thursday seems most likely.  

i read the helpful posts here giving info on the House committee rules  that the deposit would be paid on the Friday of the following week after the information was updated by Thursday.  i wish i was sure i updated it by Thursday and not Friday.  With all the things going wrong for me personally, as is pretty typical for a lot of  people during this disaster, that was the one thing that made it seem like it was ok, at least all that money hemorrhaging out of my checking account mostly to get food to my house,  was going to balance out.  

Then seemingly in contradiction of their instructions about needing no further action if you filed with your bank account number in 2018, they didn't have my bank information.

My mistake is that i forgot that i didn't get a refund from the fed for 2019. i had gotten a direct deposit refund from th state and just thought i got both. i didn't know i had paid $31 until after i looked on IRS Get My Payment to be told they don't have my banking information and i checked my tax paperwork.  

I wish the instructions had said "If you didn't get direct deposit in the current year for 2019, we will not have your banking information even if you got a direct deposit refund from us at the same account in 2018.  please update your records on IRS as soon as possible."  But they never said that.  i think what they said was misleading, to reassure people who didn't have their bank info from 2019 that if they did have it for 2018, they would need no further action.  it would have helped so much to get that payment.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

corona virus stimulus payment direct deposit problem

update to my first post of last night. Today Friday. i checked IRS get my payment.  It still continues to say:

You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies