Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Check entry - Form 5329-T

This page is totally obscure. What is the waiver of tax smart worksheet asking? It says something about the amount of required distributions due to reasonable error upon which you request a waiver of tax is $62995. Then is says quick zoom to the waiver explanation statement. Clicking on the "Explain" button does nothing. 

What is this all about? The $62995 is the total IRA distributions that were entirely QCD'd to charities. What do I need to do to continue here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To confirm you took your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) used it to make a Qualified charitable distribution (QCD)? If yes, then please make sure you indicated in the follow-up questions that you received all of your RMD for 2023. Then TurboTax will not create Form 5329.

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R” 
  2. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  3. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  4. On the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen click "Continue"
  5. Continue until "Tell us more about the retirement plan distribution" screen and select "I receive all the RMD for 2023" and click "Continue"
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Dana,

I did as you directed. I did say that I received all the RMD for 2023, but I still get the Form 5329 after the Entry checks. I will recheck each both IRA entries and see if I get a clue. If not, I'm thinking of just ignoring the check and go on to State entries. 

Any other suggestions?

Another error check that I don't understand:

State Tax Refund Worksheet Item Q line 1. TT asks me if I had any State or Local Property taxes. Since I owned no property in 2023, I entered zero. I did pay State Income tax, however for 2022 and got a refund of $244 in 2023. I think that was already entered somewhere earlier.

Any comment on this? Why did TT think it was an error?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Online

1. From the left menu select Tax Tools. 
  2. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  3. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  4. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  5. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  6. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

The instructions for TurboTax Download

1. On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  2. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"  
  3. Click "Send"
  4. The pop-up will have a token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

I just sent an updated .tax2023 diagnostic file to TuboTax Online. When should I expect either a confirmation that it was received or an opinion on the issue?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you generate the file, it gives a token number. We are unable to retrieve the file without the token number. Please reply back with the token number so we can look into your issue. You should notify Dana by adding @DanaB27  when you send the token so she will receive the notification as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies