turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddying

Can turbotax help me response IRS for penalty(actually I shouldn't pay)?

Fact:  I was on aboard last Dec 31 and also Apr 18th this year so the deadline is June 15th. I filled return and paid tax by direct billing on May 26th. Recently, I received IRS notice CP14 (notice date is June 20,2016) : Billing Summary, Failure-to-file penalty 66.51, Failure-to-pay penalty 7.39, Interest charges 3.65. I didn't know that turbotax won't provide IRS the statement that I was out of country on Apr 18th and sounds like IRS thought I filed late.

My question: 

1. Can Turbotax help me response to IRS that I didn't file late so I don't need to pay failure-to-file penalty, and if turbotax can, how can I make sure the IRS would change decision and wouldn't charge me that penalty in future?

2. Can I use IRS direct pay for notice CP14? Should I chose "other amount due" or "tax return"  as reason to pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1) you can respond for yourself ... just a note back with the CP14 notice stating that you were eligible for the 2 month extension and you were unaware that the TT program didn't include the notation in the original return.

2) use 2015 tax return 

3) for the future ... make life simple ... just file the regular 6 month extension online for free by 4/15 if you are out of the country again  and you won't have to deal with this issue again. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

1) you can respond for yourself ... just a note back with the CP14 notice stating that you were eligible for the 2 month extension and you were unaware that the TT program didn't include the notation in the original return.

2) use 2015 tax return 

3) for the future ... make life simple ... just file the regular 6 month extension online for free by 4/15 if you are out of the country again  and you won't have to deal with this issue again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies