Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I just do a subsitute W-2 Form from my previous job if i lost the W-2 that was sent to me or do i have to find a way to get a new one

I used to work at 7 eleven but quit around november 2023. I know I was sent a w-2 but I threw it away accidentally when I was getting rid of some old papers (probably just got mixed in and I didnt notice). Do i have to talk to my previous employer to get a new one or can i just fill out the subsitute w-2 turbo tax provides. it states at the end of the sub asking if I tried everything to get a new one so I didnt want say yes because I didnt.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Can I just do a subsitute W-2 Form from my previous job if i lost the W-2 that was sent to me or do i have to find a way to get a new one

If you file with the substitute w-2, you won't be able to e-file.   The steps are below, but I would go to 7-11 or contact their HR department before even considering the 4852 (substitute w-2).   They are a pretty large company and probably deal with this often during this time of year.  

If it's already near the end of February, and you haven't heard back from your employer yet, contact the IRS directly to let an IRS agent know you haven't received your W-2.  The IRS will try to contact the employer by mail to request a W-2 on your behalf.   You can contact an IRS agent by calling in at 800-829-1040 or schedule an appointment through the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

To plan ahead for your phone call, have the following pieces of information on hand:

• Your name, full mailing address, phone number, and social security number (SSN)
  • Your employer's name, full mailing address, and phone number
  • If possible, your employer's identification number (EIN or Tax ID Number)

You can file a conventional paper return that includes IRS Form 4852 if you haven't been able to get a W-2 from your employer. Here's how to fill one out:

1. Open or continue your return and search for W-2. Select the Jump to link in the search results to go to the W-2 entry screen.
  2. Fill out your W-2 using the information from your last pay stub.
  3. Answer any questions until you get to Let's check for uncommon situations.
  4. Check the box next to Didn't get a W-2 and select Continue.
  5. On the Let's check if you need a substitute W-2 screen, select Yes then Continue.
  6. Answer the follow-up questions. Select Print to download and print your IRS Form 4852.

Note: Returns including Form 4852 can't be e-filed because of IRS regulations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies