A 2020 Federal overpayment that you wish to apply to 2021 Federal taxes is entered in the section "Other Tax Situations." Here are a couple of shortcut methods to get there, and I'll also post the regular navigation at the end, too.
- With your return open, click the Search tab at the top.
- Enter this phrase exactly without quotes: apply Federal refund to next year and then click the adjacent magnifying glass. Note: while entering, ignore any dropdown menu suggestions.
- Then click the link Jump to apply Federal refund to next year.
Or if you have trouble with that, here's another shortcut method to get there that doesn't use a "Jump to" link:
- With your return open, go the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
- In the Tools window, choose TOPIC SEARCH.
- In the search line enter apply Federal without quotes.
- In the results list select apply Federal refund to next year and click GO.
Or here's the regular navigation method:
- Go to the left column and click on the Federal tab.
- Then at the top click on subtab Other Tax Situations.
- If presented, go through screens of the "uncommon tax situations" interview.
- You'll eventually get to a screen that says "All uncommon situations."
- Scroll down to topic "Additional Tax Payments" and click Show More to expand.
- That topic will expand, and you will see a subtopic "Apply Refund to Next Year."
I believe any 2020 state overpayment (if applicable) that you wish to apply to next year's state taxes will be in your state interview.