Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I amend the state taxes to replace the state that I filed for? I filed for the state of Hawaii when I should have done it through Texas

I reside in Hawaii only to fulfill my military orders and my home of record is Texas. I filed under Hawaii instead of Texas and now I have an outstanding balance for Hawaii
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can I amend the state taxes to replace the state that I filed for? I filed for the state of Hawaii when I should have done it through Texas

Your W-2 form should not have any state withholdings for the state of Hawaii in boxes 15-20 as your state of residence is technically still in Texas.

I recommend reviewing your W-2 form to confirm this information.

If after reviewing your W-2 form and confirming that you did not have anything reported for Hawaii, you will need to amend your state return to remove the wages that were erroneously reported as being from Hawaii.  You will make the changes in the federal interview section of the program under Wages.  

Please see this link for directions on amending your state return.

This link also has a lot of useful information you may find handy in the future should you continue to be stationed within Hawaii.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies