Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

niujinshu

Can I amend "married filing jointly" to "married filing separately" before 4/18?

I filed tax as married filing jointly and both federal and state taxes were accepted yesterday. Is it possible to amend to married filing separately before the tax due date (4/18)? If so, can I file amend using my account for both of us?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Can I amend "married filing jointly" to "married filing separately" before 4/18?

Yes, if you do so before the tax filing due date. Once you file a married filing joint return, you can’t choose to file separate returns after the due date of the return. So you must file an amendment before April 18, 2017. Please follow the directions below to do so.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

niujinshu

I can amend this easily using Turbotax because I filed the original one for us. However, for my husband, does he need to create a TurboTax account and file the amend? If so, how can he do this while there's no original tax for him to amend?
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Yes. Your husband will need to create an account and he will be filing an amended return as well.

Each TurboTax online account can only prepare one tax return for one person. And, unless you qualify to file for free, each account will have separate fees. It probably would have been more cost-effective to purchase and install TurboTax on your own computer from a CD or download.

With your current joint tax return, one spouse is the main, or top listed, taxpayer. The taxpayer whose name appears first on the form. That taxpayer can use that joint file to amend to married filing separately.  The other spouse will need a new tax return file to start from scratch.
niujinshu

Thanks! Should he file a regular 1040 or a amended one (1040X)? Pretty confused on this as we received diff answers from diff agents.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Your welcome! An amended form 1040X since he has already filed with you on the married filing joint return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies