Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can ex boyfriend have me audited because he's mad he can't legally claim my daughter two years in a row?

We had a signed agreement that we would allow the other parent to claim every other year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can ex boyfriend have me audited because he's mad he can't legally claim my daughter two years in a row?

He cannot have you audited, but if he files a paper return with the IRS also claiming your daughter, they will write you asking for proof of your meeting the qualifications to claim your daughter on your return.  (This may feel like it's a audit, but it's not.)

If you have determined you are legally allowed to claim your daughter, and you did not fill out an IRS Form 8332 Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption releasing your claim to the exemption, then you should have the information you need to defend your position.  The IRS uses the tax law, not agreements such as you made with your ex, to determine your right to an exemption.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

He cannot have you audited, but if he files a paper return with the IRS also claiming your daughter, they will write you asking for proof of your meeting the qualifications to claim your daughter on your return.  (This may feel like it's a audit, but it's not.)

If you have determined you are legally allowed to claim your daughter, and you did not fill out an IRS Form 8332 Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption releasing your claim to the exemption, then you should have the information you need to defend your position.  The IRS uses the tax law, not agreements such as you made with your ex, to determine your right to an exemption.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies