marcsatkins

Can anyone tell me if it is typical this year for federal tax refunds to be delayed over three months?

Waiting is frustrating—refunds are taking longer in many cases.  These are not normal times.  It is not possible for TurboTax to speed up the IRS for you.   They are short staffed; and they are processing millions of tax returns at the same time that they have been burdened with the task of processing millions of stimulus checks. 

IRS phone lines supported by customer service representatives for both taxpayers and tax professionals are short staffed at this time. To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic.   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Anonymous
Not applicable

some claim they filed in January.  if they claimed certain credits they would start to get refunds until around 2/15 due to the Path Act. so your situation is quite common. 

marcsatkins

thank you for responding but your example indicates about a 6 week delay. I filed in mid-march and the IRB automatic system indicates that my claim is still being processed. since I filed electronically this seems unusual. I have no used turbo tax in several years so I wonder if there is something wrong.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

marcsatkins

thank you for the information. I will just wait it out as there seems to be nothing I can do. I do appreciate your responding to me.