chrissy_o

Big mistake: Amend form 8283 for carryover

Hi!

I made a big mistake, I made large charitable donations in 2019 that exceeded the amount I could deduct that year, so I was planning to carry over the excess into 2020 and 2021. I filled out form 8283, but I only included the portion of the charitable donation that could be deducted in that year, I thought that in the following years I could put the rest of the donations on 8283. But actually I was supposed to put them all on form 8283 in 2019. Should I amend my 2019 taxes even though no actual income, deductions, etc will change? i.e. just change form 8283?

Thanks!

Mike9241

yes you need to amend. the carryover doesn't go on line 12 of Schedule A/form 8283 but on line 13 ("carryover from prior year")

chrissy_o

Thank you!! So then does that mean on the 2019 1040x, I just copy all the numbers down exactly the same from my initial return since nothing changed but attach a new form 8283 to the 1040x? And say in the comments section in 1040x what is going on?