Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aruth

Been trying to file my taxes for 2.5 weeks now but keep getting a notice that TT needs to update form 8911. Date was originally 2/21, then 2/29 now it's 3/1. What gives?

Just waiting. Can't file because of this.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Been trying to file my taxes for 2.5 weeks now but keep getting a notice that TT needs to update form 8911. Date was originally 2/21, then 2/29 now it's 3/1. What gives?

Form 8911 is ready for Print or Efile, according to the Forms Availability Tool.

If you're using TurboTax Online, you may have data hung, so try the following steps to clear it. 

Delete Form 8911 from your return, close TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and then re-open TurboTax.  

Go back to the section for Alternative Fuel Credit, and recreate For 8911 through the interview.

Here's more info on Form 8911

@aruth 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aruth

Not using online and just found a thread with several people having the same problem, so not resolved.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The IRS made updates to Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit. TurboTax is planning to make updates around this by 02/28/2024. Please check back then to be sure you are eligible to receive this credit.

@aruth 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What exactly is the problem with Intuit making updates to Form 8911?  The Check This Entry message during the review that prevents filing taxes just keeps extending the time for availability.  Earlier this year they extended the delay to 2/14, then 2/22.  I've been checking back in daily since 2/22, and when I found that there did appear to be some changes to this form, but even after completing the GEOID, Address, and Latitude and Longitude coordinates the review found a new problem with the Total Cost entry and reported that "TurboTax is planning to make updates around this by 2/29/2024."  Checking again on 2/23 this date changed to 3/1, then on 2/24 this date changed to 3/2.  On 2/25 this now says 3/3.  This seems to confirm others findings that this date is just programmed to be NOW() + 1 week and has no real basis.  TT needs to communicate better and provide realistic targets for updates.  I suspect most of us filing this form are expecting large refunds due to also filing for the Electric Vehicle purchase credit and the delays are becoming very frustrating for your customers. 

Despite the Forms Availability Tool showing that Form 8911 is available for Print and for e-File as noted by the Expert, there is still a problem with TT and this form, at least with the downloaded TT Deluxe standalone product I am using.  I even tried deleting Form 8911 from my return, closing TT, reopening and recompleting the form using the new interview from a recent update.  However, during review, I still get the same Check This Entry message as before for Total cost on line 1 and that updates around this are planned by 3/3/2024.  My frustration grows.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies