Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ast time i filed taxes wit Turbo tax was with my deceased hsband and now my name is not the same and my new spouse will file with me how do i amend taxes?

i remarried since last turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

ast time i filed taxes wit Turbo tax was with my deceased hsband and now my name is not the same and my new spouse will file with me how do i amend taxes?

Why do you need to amend? Amending is only for if you need to change something, like adding w2 or adding a dependent, something like that....if your spouse died in 2023, then you would file the spouses return for them and make sure you check the box that states the spouse died and you are filing the return. 

As for the new spouse, you need to create another account and filer per normal standards.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to amend your taxes due to a name change. 

When you say last TurboTax, I assume you mean when you filed a tax return last year. If that's not right, reply back with more details about what you are asking.

You can file your tax return in the same TurboTax account you used last year. You will just need to update your name, and your husband's information. 

You can also choose to start a new account. 

Regarding the name change, you need to file your tax return with the same name that the Social Security Administraion has on file for you. If you changed your name with them when you got remarried and it's been at least six weeks, you should be fine using your new last name.

If you haven't changed your name on your Social Security card yet, or it's just been a couple weeks, you may need to hyphenate to get your return accepted.

For example, if your name was Mary Smith last year and you changed it to Mary Jones just recently, you can file your return as Mary Smith-Jones and it'll be accepted. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies