Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SWebb1488

Are there suggestions of finding my taxes on my laptop?My taxes were filed and accepted using Turbo Tax desktop. Now, I cannot find even the pdf on my computer.

My daughter's 1040 is visible, but not mine.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Are there suggestions of finding my taxes on my laptop?My taxes were filed and accepted using Turbo Tax desktop. Now, I cannot find even the pdf on my computer.

@ SWebb1488  asked:  "Are there suggestions of finding my taxes on my laptop?My taxes were filed and accepted using Turbo Tax desktop. Now, I cannot find even the pdf on my computer. My daughter's 1040 is visible, but not mine. "

The main thing you need to find is the *.tax2023 data file, since you can open it and make various PDFs of your return.  I usually save a PDF of the return "as filed", and another PDF of the return with all the worksheets.  Then I can more easily look at them through the year without needing to open the data file.  You should backup all *.tax2023 data files and PDFs to a safe and secure location.

You say you used TurboTax desktop.   In that product the default location in Windows for the TurboTax return files is the Documents\TurboTax folder; I'm not sure about Mac, but likely similar.   If you don't find the *.tax2023 data file and a PDF you made in that location, search your entire computer system.   Use the search term *.tax2023 (the data file) and *.PDF (that could produce a long list of various other PDFs if you have many on your computer.)   Also look in the Recycle Bin.

If you use Windows OneDrive, be sure the return was not stored in the cloud unknowingly.  We have seen a few reports over the years of that happening to some users, but is not common.

Another less common, but possible situation:

If you and your daughter have the same last name and same first initial, and if you saved the data files for both of you using the default filename (which includes the last name and first initial), then it's possible to overwrite the first-prepared data file.

SWebb1488

Thank you for your response, and I've tried everything suggested, but no luck.  I can only conclude that the file was corrupted when I started my daughter's taxes.  

I had tried to print my taxes immediately after filing, but it did not work.  So I went ahead and started my daughter's, thinking I'd go back and try to print later.  What a disaster.  Now, nothing will be available to transfer onto next year's forms, including carried over losses from this year.

I've used TT for 9 years, but it may be time to try another tax program next year.

After moving your daughter's tax file to a safe place, properly named,

start another tax return, (CTL-N) namely, yours. You'll have to do it over for your records.

Be more careful to save it this time.

@SWebb1488 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies