Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lelou3112
Returning Member

amnending a colorado return for the Tabor refund

We have already submitted and received our refund for 2023 but we would really love to get the 1600.00 back for the Tabor refund. can we amend our colorado taxes for that and if so HOW. I have searched and searched through the site to find where to click the right button to have box 34 updated. can someone give us the step by step for amending a Colorado return for the Tabor refund? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you're eligible, you can amend your Colorado return to claim the refund.  See the TurboTax Help article How do I amend my state tax return? for guidance.

To establish your eligibility for the Colorado sales tax refund (TABOR) in TurboTax Online, follow the instructions below. Take special note of step 7.  The question asks whether you were incarcerated in Colorado for 180 days or more in 2023. 

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select  Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the  Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the State Taxes box, then select StartContinue, Review/Edit, or Pick up where you left off
  4. Proceed through the state screens.  (If you come to the Your 2023 Colorado taxes are ready for us to check screen, select Edit to the right of Credits and taxes)
  5. Select  Done with credits and taxes on the Take a look at Colorado credits and taxes pageand continue the state interview
  6. On the  Qualifying for the Colorado state sales tax refund page, select No.  (You can't have been incarcerated in Colorado for 180 days or more during the tax year and receive the refund.)
  7. If appropriate, select Yes on the Qualifying for the Colorado sales tax refund screen.  CAUTION:  If you select No on this screen, you'll be disqualified for the credit.
  8. If you qualify, the You're getting the Colorado sales tax refund! screen should generate.  Select Continue
  9. Continue through the state questions

Note:  If you don't come to the screen in step 5 above while reviewing your return, select Start or Revisit next to Sales Tax Refund when you come to the A few things before we wrap up your state taxes screen.

See 2023 TABOR Refund in the Colorado Department of Revenue's Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (TABOR) Information to view the sales tax refund requirements.

Lelou3112
Returning Member

Hi John, Thank you so much I saw this one earlier but we  have already filed and they have already been accepted so it doesn't work. I need steps on amending them . 

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Wait until your original filed return is fully processed to avoid errors, then follow the amending steps in this FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lelou3112
Returning Member

Thanks Paula! I was able to get in and start amending them and also had someone from Turbo tax on with me over the weekend trying to find the spot where we are able to select that we are eligible for the colorado tabor refund and we couldn't find it. If anyone has steps specifically for adding the 1600.00 to box 34 on a colorado 2023 tax refund electronically that would be amazing! Thanks you all for your help so far. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Go all the way through your Colorado return, past the Income section, past the Credits section, and continue until you see a screen with the title, Qualifying for the Colorado Sales Tax Refund.  Answer the next two questions and the amount will be included on your return.

@Lelou3112  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lelou3112
Returning Member

OK thank you all for the help. What I did was click on how to amend my return.

2. Select use turbo tax online to Amend and follow the steps 

3. When it asks you if your adding or changing anything select the box on the bottom that says "none of the above" and walk through everything on your state taxes and when you get to a box that says why are you amending this I typed in "box 34 needs to read 1600.00" and somehow out of nowhere it was on the amended return. So I can't say that I am giving you the perfect steps but I didn't do anything different except fill out that "why" box and it fixed it. Sorry for the garbage explanation but my point is if you go in and walk through amending it..download the amended taxes. You might not think you changed anything but it ends up on there somehow. Sorry for not writing these steps down better to anyone that needs help on this. Good luck and may the odds be even in your favor. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies