Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Velias83
Returning Member

American Rescue Plan Amendment Question

Hi
I received an email in March stating this:
"Dear TurboTax Customer,

We are contacting you because you had unemployment income on your 2020 tax return when you filed earlier this year.

Great news! The first $10,200 of your unemployment income may now be tax-free, if your household income is less than $150,000, based on the recently passed American Rescue Plan.

Even better news: The IRS says you don't need to do anything right now to take advantage of this benefit. The IRS assures us there is no faster way to get any additional money you are owed! Amending your return could delay your payment.

The IRS has not provided specific timing and details yet. We will reach back out when they do. You can also check the blog post here for the latest information.

Thank you again for being a TurboTax customer.

Sincerely,

TurboTax Care Team"
Then today I received this email:
"Dear TurboTax Customer,

We are following up on our earlier email regarding the increased Unemployment benefits. Great news! In addition to the unemployment benefits, you may now be eligible for additional deductions, credits or benefits on your 2020 TurboTax federal return.

Unemployment Income: Based on the recently passed American Rescue Plan, the first $10,200 of your unemployment income may now be tax-free. Since you filed before this law was in place, you could be owed an additional payment from the IRS.

Additional Deductions and Credits: Now that some of your unemployment income is tax free, your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) may be lower. This means that you could now be eligible for additional deductions and credits.

In order to claim these additional deductions and credits, you will need to file an amended federal tax return. However, you do not need to file an amended state return at this time.

Amending is easy, and our experts are here to help. Simply log in to your account and select "Amend using TurboTax Online," and we'll guide you through it. In the unlikely event that these additional credits or deductions result in a product upgrade with additional fees, just continue with the amend process. You will reach a screen with instructions on how to contact an expert who will remove the fees. Everyone will be able to file their amended returns to gain these benefits at no additional cost.

Thank you again for being a TurboTax customer.

Sincerely,

TurboTax Care Team"

I took this as instruction that I should file my amendment, so I did. I'm seeing via your blog that it still says the IRS will process this automatically, but the email I received prompted me to do the amendment myself. Did I do this in error, should I have waited? Does this mean that the amendment will be delayed? Could someone provide me with updated information on the matter. It also states that the refund will be in the form of a check mailed to me, where as my normal refunds have always been direct deposit, can anyone confirm what type of refund I will be receiving?

Thank you,

Ilanders P

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

This messages refers to, other than the unemployment exclusion, if you qualify for any additional credits and deductions due to a lower AGI, you should amend your federal tax return.  If the only reason you amend is the unemployment exclusion, you do not need to amend. 

"Additional Deductions and Credits: Now that some of your unemployment income is tax free, your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) may be lower. This means that you could now be eligible for additional deductions and credits.

In order to claim these additional deductions and credits, you will need to file an amended federal tax return. However, you do not need to file an amended state return at this time."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Velias83
Returning Member

Thank you, looks like a qualified for some deductions. I ended up amending that do due to that. Do you think this amendment is going to be delayed?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Yes, very likely due to the IRS backlog. 

To read more on the IRS link, click here:  IRS update on unemployment compensation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies