Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Amending to include additional HSA contribution

when I step through the amendment process it is now calculating a refund rather than reducing the amount I owe.  do I pay the original tax liability and then the amendment refund will eventually offset it?
1 Reply
Level 13

Amending to include additional HSA contribution

Yes, the original return and the amendment are two separate processes.

If you have e-filed your original return and had tax due, you should have gotten a 1040-V with your tax return to mail in with a check (unless you did a direct debit from your checking account).

This check must be mailed by April 18, 2017, or else it is considered a late payment.

It's very unlikely that your amendment would be processed by then, even if you mailed it today.

Since the e-file process and the amendment process are totally separate down at the IRS, they don't have a way to net a refund against a tax due.

So go ahead and make your payment on the original return (unless, as I noted, you did a direct debit), and then file your amended return, and your refund will come eventually.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings