turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending taxes from prior years

I recently received a tax bill from the state of North Carolina for taxes filed in 2018. During this time I worked in a different state but was a resident in another state. I forgot to file the taxes for the state I actually worked in and only filed taxes for where I was a resident. It was a honest mistake as I was suffering a medical condition at that time.  Now that I have received this notice 6 years later, and realized the mistake, am I able to amend my state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

why are you getting a bill from NC if you worked in a different state and resided in another state?

I resided in North Carolina but worked in another state.

I apologize... I worked in South Carolina but resided in North Carolina. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  You could file an original return with South Carolina (SC) where you actually performed the work, then send that copy to North Carolina (NC) with an amended return to show you did pay the taxes there. They may allow you to use the credit for taxes paid to another state and give you the credit. It can't hurt to try. Provide details of your medical condition to potentially receive more favorable consideration. 

NC Amended Returns

Generally, amended returns on which you owe additional tax must be filed and the tax paid within three years after the date on which the original return was filed or within three years from the date required by law for filing the return, whichever is later.  Amended returns requesting a refund must be filed within the statute of limitations for refunds.

If you pay the tax, then the amended statute extends however, they may not have to issue a refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies