Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending tax return where Turbotax originally failed to give a credit. Now its automatically taking the credit off so I can't input it correctly

HELP!  My 2020 tax return had Unemployment.  Turbotax failed to take the $10,200 adjustment off when I filed in 2021.  Trying to fix that now, but it was done on an old computer, so had to input the entire old tax return info into Turbotax 2020 again.  But now the software is automatically giving the adjustment off Unemployment, and it won't let me change that when I go into the form.  If Turbotax only sent the 1040X when you filed, it wouldn't be a problem.  But they send the tax return you are correcting along with it.  How can I change this so it is showing the real numbers that I filed in the original tax return?    
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Amending tax return where Turbotax originally failed to give a credit. Now its automatically taking the credit off so I can't input it correctly

Delete the adjustment that is negating your unemployment.   Go to your Schedule 1 and delete the negative entry right below the positive entry.    Then print and mail what you need.  

The IRS did an automatic adjustment of 2020 returns filed early, so make sure you really need to amend before you go through those steps to file the amendment.   View your IRS online account. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbotax sends the revised tax return when you e-File 1040-X.

IRS claims that anyone who filed early without the $10,200 exclusion got a refund from the IRS .

you can't e-File a 2020 amendment

---

How to file on paper:

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.

@lou_renshaw 

to get around the problem you mentioned, you have to use override.

@lou_renshaw 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies