Amending my son's non-filer return
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Amending my son's non-filer return


My son has already submitted a 'Non-Filer' 2019 return on the website. And the return have been accepted by the IRS. However, he has not receive his stimulus money.


We now  realized he forgot to include/submit the 1098-T he received from his university. Also, I've claimed him (or would like to) as a dependent on my 2019 return. Which I've e-File and the submission was rejected.


Could someone advise if my son could file an amend return for the 'Non-Filer' return, already accepted by the IRS? And what form he would required to submit for the amend return? Or what is the best method for me or my son to submit to the IRS?


Thank you in advance,


Best regards,
Kevin N.


2 Replies
Level 15

Amending my son's non-filer return

you can't e-File with a dependent if your son stated that no one can claim him

The 1098-T for your dependent goes on your (the parent's) return.


You will have to file on paper via US Mail.

Not applicable

Amending my son's non-filer return

and your son needs to file an amended return noting that he can be claimed as a dependent.

he too will have to paper file the amended return.  

Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings