Amending my son's non-filer return

Amending my son's non-filer return

Hello,

My son has already submitted a 'Non-Filer' 2019 return on the irs.gov website. And the return have been accepted by the IRS. However, he has not receive his stimulus money.

We now  realized he forgot to include/submit the 1098-T he received from his university. Also, I've claimed him (or would like to) as a dependent on my 2019 return. Which I've e-File and the submission was rejected.

Could someone advise if my son could file an amend return for the 'Non-Filer' return, already accepted by the IRS? And what form he would required to submit for the amend return? Or what is the best method for me or my son to submit to the IRS?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,
Kevin N.

Amending my son's non-filer return

you can't e-File with a dependent if your son stated that no one can claim him

The 1098-T for your dependent goes on your (the parent's) return.

You will have to file on paper via US Mail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Amending my son's non-filer return

and your son needs to file an amended return noting that he can be claimed as a dependent.

he too will have to paper file the amended return.