Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dhilman2
Returning Member

amending 2023 e-filed return

After completing our 2023 1040 and e-filing them, we decided a day or two later too make IRA contributions to reduce the $2200 in taxes that we're going to send in for the return on 4/14/2024. After doing the amendment the tax liability is $0 and we have a small $50 refund. Our question is do we need to send in the 2200 or just e-file this amendment, and expect a small refund after the IRS processes it. It was e-filed about a week ago and accepted. We have already established our IRAs and funded them at this point. What is the recommended thing to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If  you contributed after you filed a return without anticipating the correct reporting, you have to amend.

So far, IRS has no idea what you did.

@dhilman2 

dhilman2
Returning Member

I guess I was expecting that the two e-filed 1040 forms the original and the amended, would catchup to each other by the time it was processed. Maybe that's too much to expect. That's why I'm asking about this I don't know what is usually done in a situation like this.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Here is my thought process.  You filed a return with a balance due that did not need to be paid until April 15, 2024.  Then, you filed a corrected (amended) tax return that is showing a refund instead of a balance due.  The amended return was filed before the due date of your tax return or the due date of your balance due.  You should not be expected to pay that balance due since the amended return was filed prior to the filing deadline.  Just be sure that the amended return is filed and accepted before the due date of the tax return.  

@dhilman2 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies