Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbkandeh

Amended Tax Return Form 1040X for 2018 has been released by IRS. When will turbotax allowed online amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

Amended Tax Return Form 1040X for 2018 has been released by IRS. When will turbotax allowed online amendment?

amended returns always must be filed by mail, that is the IRS requirements. 2/8/18 is the estimated date they will be available to create in TT.  (note TT must test all forms so while the IRS releases final versions, testing them takes time especially when there are so many last minute IRS changes.
First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2017 return was accepted (or paper-filed) in TurboTax Online. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet. 
1. Sign in to TurboTax and make sure you've selected Tax Home on the left side of your screen. 
o If you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner to expand the menu.
2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Amend (change) 2017 return. 
o If you only see the option to amend 2016 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2017 return. Select Take me to my return, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
3. Carefully follow the onscreen instructions and don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
4. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
maglib
Level 11

amended returns always must be filed by mail, that is the IRS requirements. 2/8/18 is the estimated date they will be available to create in TT.  (note TT must test all forms so while the IRS releases final versions, testing them takes time especially when there are so many last minute IRS changes.
First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2017 return was accepted (or paper-filed) in TurboTax Online. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet. 
1. Sign in to TurboTax and make sure you've selected Tax Home on the left side of your screen. 
o If you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner to expand the menu.
o If you only see the option to amend 2016 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2017 return. Select Take me to my return, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
3. Carefully follow the onscreen instructions and don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
4. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question

This is what Turbotax help told me to do.

"First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2017 return was accepted (or paper-filed) in TurboTax Online. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet. More info
Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return."

Lame. i followed the intuit online for filing out and downloading admendment completed pdf version.  the system gives me instead a copy of my return i've already filed!  i didnt realize this because i'd put it aside until i could mail it the whole time thinking this was the amended version.  now i come back and find out its not the admendment form the IRS requires.  this is a load of garbage and intuit is serving it up freely and happily.  and even if i had received the correct form there are no mailing instructions here!!  intuit you're slipping and i'm no longer trusting you with my returns in the future.
maglib
Level 11

intuit does the amended return with no issues.  not sure why you would be having an issue. Did you actually follow the instructions to amend your return filed?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies