Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return shows I owe money before I change a thing

I need to file an amended 2023 return because I received a revised 1099 after I filed. When I open up my return it says I owe $1600 in federal taxes and $0 in state taxes. When I initially filed I owed quite a bit more than that for state and federal, so I should owe zero now. It even says, "Why is my refund zeroed out?" Mine should be zeroed out, but it says I owed. When I compared the filed 1040 to the 1040 in the amended return the numbers are identical (as they should be since I didn't change anything yet). Any idea why it would show that I owe money? Thanks. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbotax may pick up any extension payments done through the app but nothing paid directly or outside of the app. if they were as you go through the amended returns you must enter these payments. Exclude any underpayment penalty that you paid with the original return

.Turbotax should be showing the original balance due. why it isn't is unknown.  hopefully you kept a PDF or printout of the original. you need to check every line in column A to make sure it matches the original. Otherwise you should be able to get a tax return transcript using the iRS website. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

To amend, start with the originally filed tax return, then enter the AMEND command.

If your 1040-X immediately shows something is different:

• you made some changes after filing
  • A TurboTax software update made some changes
  • you opened the wrong TurboTax .tax file
  • TurboTax is seriously not working.

@Uncle Willie 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies